Nahom Berhane Scholarship for Leadership and Inclusion
Commemorating the life and legacy of Nahom Berhane, the Nahom Berhane Scholarship for Leadership and Inclusion provides assistance to youth with a proven track record of volunteerism, community service and leadership in the community, who are in need of financial support to attend university, college, or professional trades training.
Nahom was a charismatic and well-respected health promoter at Access Alliance for five years. His passion, leadership, and commitment to equity and social justice engaged the youth he worked with and enhanced our community as a whole.
A partnership between Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services and the Berhane family, the scholarship was established to celebrate Nahom’s life and work, and honour his legacy.
The Nahom Berhane Scholarship is available for students who are registered to attend any post-secondary institution (in any year). This year we are prioritizing youth of African Descent.
- Are registered to attend a post-secondary institution (in any year)
- Have lived in the GTA for at least 2 years
- Hold Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
(Please note: Applicants who are in the process of applying as permanent residents and who have documentation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows them to study at a post-secondary institution may apply. Proof of an application with IRCC will be required. The Scholarship does not fund visitor or international student studies. )
- Have a proven track record of community involvement/volunteerism
- Have demonstrated leadership in their community/are community mobilizers
- Are sponsored by a mentor / mentor organization committing to act as a mentor for the applicant for the duration of the scholarship
- Make a positive contribution to the GTA