Green Access Garden Steward
About Access Alliance:
Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services is a multi-service community agency that works to improve health outcomes for the most vulnerable immigrants, refugees, and their communities. We do this by facilitating access to services and addressing systemic barriers and poverty. The Centre envisions a future in which Toronto’s diverse communities achieve health with dignity.
Volunteer Position Description:
Established in 2011, the Green Access Program uses the Green Roof at AccessPoint on Danforth as a launching pad for activities that build skills around food and gardening. The program brings together community development, environmental education, and health. The rooftop garden also provides community members – many who live in high-rise buildings with no personal outdoor space – the opportunity to participate in gardening activities. We are looking for community residents who are passionate about growing food in urban spaces and are interested in stewardship of our garden through the growing season.
Focus area: Environment & Sustainability
- Outdoor urban growing
- Watering plants
- Seed starting
- Garden maintenance as required
Location: AccessPoint on Danforth – Rooftop Garden, 3079 Danforth Avenue
Starting second week in April:
- Saturday shifts :10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- Tuesday shifts : 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Role Type: Program/Project Support
- Must enjoy being outdoors in all weather conditions
- Must enjoy working with all life, including non-human life (i.e. insects, plants, etc.)
- Must not mind getting dirty
- Must enjoy learning and applying new information and skills
Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Gain experience working in a community health setting
- Work within an equity and inclusion framework
- Gain experience working with newcomer, immigrant, and refugee communities
- Obtain hours toward your high school community service requirements
- Work alongside an interdisciplinary team of professions
- Build community and connection with like-minded peers
- Learn to grow your own food
- Take home some of the produce grown
Number of positions available: 20
Apply by: opened until filled
For more information about this program contact Chimu Titi – firstname.lastname@example.org – Sustainable Living Coordinator.
Please note: Due to public health guidelines and organizational precautions around COVID-19, Access Alliance requires all staff, volunteers and students to be fully vaccinated.
We welcome and encourage immigrants and refugees to volunteer with us! We encourage applications from volunteers who reflect the broad diversity of communities we work with, including those from racialized and LGBTQ2+ communities.