LGBTQ Immigrants and Refugees
Access Alliance takes pride in offering programs and services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer (LGBTQ+) newcomers.
These programs and services include:
The NewTQs Project (funded by Community One Foundation's RBC Rainbow Grants)
A one year project running out of AccessPoint on Danforth. All ages and newcomer status are welcome. Check flyer here
- Monthly Drop-in - March 12, 2013, 5:30-7:30pm at AccessPoint on Danforth (3079 Danforth Ave - Danforth/Victoria Park)
- Community Forums - 'Welcome Spring' event - March 14, 2013, 5-7pm at AccessPoint on Danforth (3079 Danforth Ave - Danforth/Victoria Park). View flyer here.
Eat, Learn, Connect for Healthy Living for LGBTQ+ Newcomers (funded by Grants Ontario)
- Yoga & Meditation: Stretch, breathe and learn some relaxation techniques! 4 weeks in January (Jan 9 – Jan 20) - Wednesdays from 2:00pm – 3:30pm. See flyer here.
- Rainbow Community Kitchen Program: Learn how to cook healthy meals on a small budget! 4 weeks in February (Feb 6 – Feb 27) - Wednesdays from 2:00pm – 5:00pm. See flyer here.
- Registration is required since space is limited! Call or visit the front desk to register: 416-693-8677
Settlement services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer newcomers
- We recognize that Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Queer (LGBTQ+) people who are new to Canada face particular challenges
- Our settlement services will support clients in finding their way in Toronto and in developing increased confidence and pride in who they are
- To ask for an appointment with the Settlement Worker, call 416-760-8677 Or follow this link for more information.
Expressive Arts Groups
- A group where lesbian, bisexual and trans newcomers (all genders welcome), who are recent immigrants and refugees, use art to explore issues and experiences that are important or meaningful to them. For more information, click here.
- Access Alliance welcomes LGBTQ newcomers to volunteer in our various programs. For more information, click here.
Past programs and services:
Stepping Up to the Plate Project
- The goal of this 2-year project was to develop identify Promising Practices in Arts-based Programming to Address Issues of Violence and Community Safety for Lesbian, Bisexual and Trans (LBT) Newcomer, Immigrant and Refugee Women and to develop a Toolkit that may be used by service providers to implement such programming. For more information, click here.
Among Friends Initiative
- A 3 year training and capacity building initiative that worked with other community-based agencies to create positive and inclusive spaces for LGBTQ newcomer.
- Trainings, workshops and resources were provided to these agencies by LGBTQ newcomer volunteers. For more information, click here.