Reference and Guidelines
- Canada’s Food Guide
Released in 2019, this food guide has been revised with the latest scientific evidence, in a user-friendly image-based guidance.
- Dietary Reference Intake Values (“DRIs”):
Established by the Institute of Medicine (IOM), these guides set out how much of each nutrient/mineral a person needs for their age and sex.
- Find a dietitian in private practice, or at a Community Health Centre (CHC) near you.
- Nutrition Label Reading
- Unlock Food.ca
Brought to you by the Dietitians of Canada, this site brings you expert guidance for everyday eating. Also of interest: Unlock Food – Nutrition Topics, nutrition topics with resources, tips and tricks for individuals, families or communities, and Unlock Food – Glossary of Nutrition Terms
Nutrition Prevention and Management of Disease
- Calcium-rich/moderate food sources resource (Sunnybrook Hospital)
- Cancer Prevention
World Cancer Research Fund: Diet, Nutrition, Physical Activity & Cancer – A Global Perspective
- Diabetes Canada Risk Questionnaire
Find out if you are at risk for developing diabetes.
- DASH Diet [Lower Blood Pressure]
- FODMAP Diet [Irritable Bowel Syndrome]
A three-step diet to get to the bottom of irritable bowels.
- Mediterranean Score Card
What is your score in protecting your health? Find out here. Raise the score by 2 and you have improved your heart health.
- Portfolio Diet [Lower Cholesterol]
A compilation of all the best diet advice for lowering cholesterol in one diet
Recipes and Menu Planning
- Diabetes Canada – Recipes
- Dietitian-approved Recipe Database
- Heart and Stroke Foundation Recipes
- Kid-Friendly, Award-Winning, Dietitian-Approved Recipes
- Menu Planning Tool
Nutrition Across the Lifespan
- Food Safety in Pregnancy (what to avoid)
- Healthy Eating for a Healthy Baby (English and Translations)
- Infant Nutrition
- Nutri e-STEP
Take a short survey to find out how your child’s nutrition is doing.
- Picky Eaters
Ellyn Satter is a dietitian and specialist in feeding infants and children.
- Healthy Eating for Teenagers
- A Guide for Healthy Eating for Older Adults
Environmental Sustainability and Food Systems
- Canadian Biotechnology Action Network (CBAN)
A coalition to promote food sovereignty and democratic decision-making on science and technology issues in order to protect the integrity of the environment, health, food, and the livelihoods of people in Canada and around the world by facilitating, informing and organizing civil society action, researching, and providing information to government for policy development.
- Sustain Ontario
Sustain Ontario brings together groups working on food and agriculture issues in Southern Ontario.
- Toronto Food Policy Council
- Food by Ward