Rooftop Garden Steward
About the program:
Established in 2011, the Green Roof at AccessPoint on Danforth is a launching pad for activities that build skills around food and gardening. The program brings together community development, environmental education, and health. The rooftop garden also provides community members – many who live in high-rise buildings with no personal outdoors space – the opportunity to participate in gardening activities.
Join us and enjoy the benefits of gardening, learn all about urban organic food productions, grow healthy food, meet new people, get your dose of Vitamin D, and earn volunteer hours!
- weeding, watering, and compost maintenance
- harvest, weigh, and supply produce to the community kitchen or other Access Alliance program
AccessPoint on Danforth
3079 Danforth Ave.
Scarborough, ON M1L 1A8
2-4 hours per week
10:30 am – 12:30 pm on Tuesdays
10:00 am – 12:00 pm on Fridays
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Enjoy being outdoors in most weather conditions especially consistent heat
- Not afraid of living creatures like bees, worms, spiders, etc.
- Able to work on knees, standing up for a sustained period of time
Benefits to the volunteer:
- Learn how to grow food in an urban environment
- Learn about environmental and social issues affecting the system
- Improve health and well-being by being outdoors engaged in productive activities
- Meet others interested in environmental and urban cultivation
- Get some exercise
- Receive organic produce weekly
# of positions available:
Environment and Sustainability
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include ‘Rooftop Garden Steward’ on the subject line
For more information about this program contact:
Chimu Titi – Sustainable Living Coordinator