English Conversation Circle Facilitator – AccessPoint on Jane
Volunteer Position Description
The English Conversation Circle aims to provide newcomers and non-native English-speakers opportunities to improve their English conversational skills when joining the workforce, attending school, or pursuing a number of other interests. This program is conducted in small group sizes, with a low participant-to-facilitator ratio. Topics may focus on current news, cultural exchange, employment, settlement and much more.
The role of volunteers is to foster a welcoming environment for participants to gain more confidence in communicating in English. Volunteer(s) are integral to the program, as a volunteer you will play an important role in running and making this program a success!
With the assistance of the Health Promoter, volunteers will:
- Develop, plan, and implement curriculum
- Research areas/topics of interests for participants
- Facilitate group sessions in person
Location: AccessPoint on Jane (Jane & Woolner)
761 Jane St, York, ON M6N 4B4.
Time commitment: Tuesdays 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM
Minimum 6 months – 3 to 4 hours a week.
Role Type: Leadership/Mentorship.
- Group facilitation skills
- Advanced English language skills
- Able to teach and communicate effectively
- Comfortable taking the lead in a group setting
- Able and/or willing to work with newcomers
- Willing to work with a diverse group of people
- Program planning/design skills will be a strong asset
- Can speak a second language that is common in the neighbourhood (i.e. Jane & Woolner: Spanish, Portuguese, and Tigrinya)
Benefits for the volunteer
- Gain firsthand experience working with newcomers
- Gain leadership skills
- Build on facilitation skills
- Gain experience working in a non-profit organization
- Be part of a team that shapes newcomer’s experience
Number of positions available: 2-3 with the possibility of more as the program grows.
Apply by: open until filled.
Please fill ‘English Conversation Circle Facilitator’ as the “Position Title” in the Application Form
For more information about this program contact Silvea Chowdhury – firstname.lastname@example.org – Health Promoter, Newcomer Settlement & Integration
We welcome and encourage immigrants and refugees to volunteer with us! We encourage applications from volunteers who reflect the broad diversity of communities we work with, including those from racialized and LGBTQ2+ communities.