English Conversation Circle Facilitator
Volunteer Position Description:
The English Conversation Circle aims to provide newcomers and non-native English-speakers opportunities to improve their English conversational skills when joining the workforce, attending school, or pursuing a number of other interests. This program is conducted in small group sizes, with a low participant-to-facilitator ratio.
Topics may focus on current news, cultural exchange, employment, settlement and much more.
The role of volunteers is to foster a welcoming environment for participants to gain more confidence in communicating in English. Volunteer(s) are integral to the program, as a volunteer you will play an important role in running and making this program a success!
With the assistance of the Community Service Worker, volunteers will:
- Develop, plan, and implement curriculum
- Research areas/topics of interests for participants
- Facilitate group sessions over Zoom
AccessPoint on Danforth
3079 Danforth Ave.
Toronto, ON M1L 1A8
Time commitment: Mondays 3:00 – 4:30 PM (virtual,), minimum 6 month commitment – 3 to 4 hours per week, starting as soon as possible.
Role Type: Leadership/Mentorship
- Group facilitation skills
- Advanced English language skills
- Able to teach and communicate effectively
- Comfortable taking the lead in a group setting
- Able and/or willing to work with newcomers
- Willing to work with diverse group of people
- Program planning/design skills will be a strong asset
- Native English speaker (asset)
Benefits to the volunteer:
- Gain firsthand experience working with newcomers
- Gain leadership skills
- Build on facilitation skills
- Gain experience working in a non-profit organization
# of positions available: 1 – 2 positions with possibility of more as the program grows
Focus area: Volunteer and Community Engagement
Application deadline: Until filled
Complete an application form by clicking here.
Please fill ‘English Conversation Circle Facilitator’ as the “Position Title” in the Application Form
For more information about this program contact:
Maria Dasoo – Community Health Worker – Vaccine Engagement Lead
We welcome and encourage immigrants and refugees to volunteer with us! We encourage applications from volunteers who reflect the broad diversity of the communities we work with, including those from racialized and LGBTQ2+ communities.