Director of Finance and Operations
Deadline: October 25, 2022
Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services (AAMHCS) is a Community
Health Centre that aims to provide services and addresses system inequities to improve health
outcomes for the most vulnerable immigrants, refugees, and their communities. The Centre
envisions a future in which Toronto’s diverse communities achieve health with dignity.
The Director of Finance and Operations is responsible for planning, leading, organizing and
controlling all corporate operational services and systems related to finance, administration,
facilities, human resources, workplace safety and information technology. The Director shall
ensure consistency and quality of all operations and will work in ways that are respectful and
inclusive of all services users, staff and volunteers and that promote the mission and values of
Access Alliance. A dedicated staff team (consisting of Managers and specialized staff roles) will
assist the Director in this work.
Hours of work for the position include both regular and extended hours of operation each week
and the requirement to work outside of regular hours from time to time, in locations identified
by Access Alliance.
The Director Finance and Operations reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the
Senior Management Team. The Director is responsible for leading the finance, administrative,
human resource, and facilities functions of the organization.
- In consultation with the Executive Director and Senior Management Team directs all
aspects of financial services including budget preparation, monthly and quarterly financial
analysis, payroll, accounts payables and receivables, audit activities, financial policies and
procedures, and other related functions
- Ensure financial management and accounting systems are in place and practices are
compliant with Access Alliance policy, legislation, funder requirements and GAAP
- Responsible for all accounting and finance functions of the health center e.g. internal
and external reporting for the Ministry of Health and the OHT (SRI, ARR, OHRS).
- Ensure financial reports are timely and accurate and fulfil funder, management and
governance requirements, this includes primary responsibility for MOH reporting (SRI,
- Act as Agency liaison with key stakeholders such as external auditors in the annual
review of year-end financial records; funder reviews and on-site records audits;
- Work with the Management Team to ensure that spending stays within budget lines;
- Manage the assets of Access Alliance in such a way that maximizes efficiencies and the
return to the agency.
Management Information Systems
- Directs information technology support and communications services including all
telecommunication, computer services, IT systems
- Ensures a secure and stable IT/IM infrastructure is in place and that systems, policies
and procedures are in effect and monitored for quality and compliance
- Work with Directors to ensure information management systems and procedures are in
place to facilitate planning, reporting, performance monitoring, and quality
- Work with the Executive Director and others to develop and execute long-term
planning of IT/IM to meet the needs the Health Centre
- Works with the senior management team to identify and address organization-wide
human resource planning, staffing training, and development needs
- Directs all aspects of effective human resource management of the operations
including planning, recruitment, orientation, supervision, development, performance
management, discipline and termination.
- Leads all Labour Relations processes including contract negotiation
- Be knowledgeable about and comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act
(OHSA), Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), Accessibility for
Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Ontario Human Rights Code and other
- Direct facilities management staff, activities and contractors to ensure that facilities
are safe and well-maintained;
- Monitor inspection reports and address outstanding issues from Joint Health & Safety
- Oversight of all lease management, renewal and termination.
- Advise Executive Director of all matters regarding facilities maintenance and apprise in
a timely manner of all serious maintenance issues.
- Identify the need for policy review and development and assist staff and Access
Alliance to develop policies, protocols and procedures that will ensure the safe and
effective operations of community and health services
- Coordinate, support, develop and administer policies, protocols and programs in
collaboration with other community health and social service providers at both the
local and provincial levels
- Lead the organization wide quality processes that enables Access Alliance to maintain
- Provide policy interpretation and ensure consistency in practice across the
- Develops, implements and monitors overall priorities and work plans for the teams,
programs and services within her scope
- Works collaborative with staff to identify priorities and operational strategies aligned
with Access Alliance mission, vision and values
- Manages the budget for operations and monitors financial performance on a monthly
- Facilitates operations participation in cross-departmental work as appropriate
- Ensures that operations and finance teams staff have adequate access to information
about Access Alliance policies, procedures and activities;
- Monitors quality of services and programs and promotes ongoing quality improvement.
- Participates as a member of the senior management team and contributes to the long
term planning, effectiveness and positioning of Access Alliance and its programs and
- Participate in relevant professional development to improve professional knowledge
and remain up to date concerning current trends in relevant areas
- Maintain an organizational-wide scope and overview to ensure effective infrastructure
and operational systems are in place across the entire organization.
- Works with the management team to promote a healthy environment at Access
Alliance for staff, clients, volunteers and visitors;
- Directs risk management activities including the provision of appropriate insurance,
identification and mitigation of organization-wide risks, contracts & lease
- Participate in and provide support to the Board of Directors and its Committees on
- Acts on behalf of the Executive Director and/or AED when requested.
- Masters degree, or equivalent education and experience, in a relevant field
- Minimum 5 years management experience in a community-based organization
- Demonstrated financial management ability in a non-profit environment
- Experience in organizational planning, human resources management including direct staff supervision and management
- Thorough knowledge of and proficiency in office administrative practices and applications
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative style with staff, volunteers and board members
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team through planning, implementation and significant change processes
- Experience in Labour Relations and contract negotiations
- Knowledge of risk management principles and processes in a non-profit environment
- Understanding of Anti-oppression principles
- Knowledge of issues affecting communities facing barriers to access in an urban health environment is an asset
- Support for the mission and values of Access Alliance
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Hours: Includes evening and weekend hours as required
Location: Across our three sites as required, main office at College
Start Date: ASAP
Interview Dates: Oct 31, Nov 1,7, & 8
This position is excluded from the bargaining unit at Access Alliance
With “Director Finance and Operations “ in the subject heading please send your resume and cover letter by October 25, 2022 at 5:00pm to:
by E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
by Regular Mail: Hiring Committee, “Director Finance and Operations “
Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services
340 College Street, Suite 500, Toronto, ON, M5T 3A9
No phone calls please.
Please be advised that our organization requires all staff, students, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination can be obtained from the Ministry site
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will receive acknowledgement. Please note that a criminal background check (Vulnerable sector) will be conducted for this position.
We encourage applications from individuals who reflect the broad diversity of communities we work with, including those from racialized and LGBTQ communities.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Access Alliance encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.