Community Lunch Program Volunteer – AccessPoint on Jane
Volunteer position description:
This volunteer position will support Access Alliance’s Community Lunch Program. The successful candidate will provide support in the set-up, cooking and clean-up duties in the kitchen. They will help serve nutritious meals to community members while simultaneously helping to combat food insecurity in the Jane and Woolner neighbourhood. Furthermore, the lead volunteer (decided the week before) has the opportunity to coordinate the menu (within a set budget) for the following Thursday and lead the prepping/cooking process under the guidance of the AAMHCS staff coordinator.
- Cooking, chopping, slicing
- Cleaning and washing
- Lifting (cooked stews in big pots, food from storage rooms, etc.)
- Snack and cutlery prep
- Meal container prep
- Greet community members in a welcoming manner
AccessPoint on Jane 761 Jane St, York, ON M6N 4B4.
Time commitment: 4-5 hours a week.
Role Type: Program/project Support.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Ability to work in a high-pace, high-energy environment and be on your feet for an extended period of time
- Comfortable with prepping/cooking/serving meals
- Ability to work in a team and take initiative
- Good communication skills
- Open and willing to work with an underserved community
Assets but not required:
- Experience cooking for large groups of people
- Toronto Safe Handling of Food Certificate
- Can speak a second language that is common in the neighbourhood (i.e. Jane & Woolner: Spanish, Portuguese, and Tigrinya)
Benefits for the volunteer
- Opportunity to interact with fellow volunteers & members of the community
- Gain leadership skills
- Gain experience volunteering in a community setting
- Gain experience volunteering for a non-profit organization
- Be involved in shaping your community
- Opportunities for training such as Food Handler’s Certificate
- Gain firsthand experience working with newcomers
Number of positions available: 5-7
Apply by: open until filled.
For more information about this program contact Silvea Chowdhury –email@example.com– Health Promoter, Settlement & Integration.
We welcome and encourage immigrants and refugees to volunteer with us! We encourage applications from volunteers who reflect the broad diversity of communities we work with, including those from racialized and LGBTQ2+ communities.