Join Our Team

Community interpretation provides a rewarding and flexible career. Interpreters work with AALS on a freelance basis. This means that you work for us as an independent contractor on an on-call basis, depending on the needs of our client organizations in the Greater Toronto Area.

See our latest recruitment flyer here,

If you are already trained in community interpretation, have successfully passed the ILSAT or CILISAT, and have completed a medical terminology course, we would be happy to receive your application to work with AALS as a freelance community interpreter.

Click here for an online application form

You will be required to attach the following documents:

  • Certificate(s) of interpreter training
  • CILISAT or ILSAT assessment test results and certificate(s)
  • Proof of completion of post-secondary medical terminology course
  • Résumé outlining your training in community interpretation and work experience

How to meet our minimum qualifications

Language Testing

CILISAT (Cultural Interpreter Language Interpreting Assessment Tool)
ILSAT (Interpreter Language and Skills Assessment Tool)

These tests were developed by the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration and are accepted by most interpreter services as well as many health care organizations as a minimum required standard for interpretation and language proficiency.  Passing this language test is a requirement for Access Alliance interpreters. If there is no test available in a particular language, we carry out an interpretation simulation to assess a candidate’s basic interpretation skills and language ability.

Access Alliance can administer these tests for a fee of $200. Please contact our office to make an appointment.

Humber College also administers the ILSAT test. Click here for more information.

Medical Terminology Courses

Following completion of the core interpreter training, AALS interpreters are required to complete a college level course in medical terminology. The following Toronto area colleges offer these courses. Note that the costs listed are subject to change.

For more information call 613-237-0502 (8:30am -5pm, M-F), 613-261-7834 (5pm-8:30am, M-F, weekends, holidays)

George Brown College
This is an online course. For more information, call 416-415-5000 ext. 4706.

Humber College
For more information call 416-675-5000.

Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences
This is a correspondence course. For more information, call 416-596-3177.

Skills for Change
Course Title: ESL/Medical Terminology. For more information call 416-658-7090.

Seneca College
Register on-line or by calling 416-493-4144 or call 416-491-5050 ext. 2528 for more information.

Interpreter Core Competency Training Programs

Seneca College Language Interpreter Training Program

This 180-hour program consists of six 30-hour subjects. The program trains participants to interpret in health care, social services, and legal settings. Interested candidates may be required to attend an orientation session. Visit their website for more information or call 416-493-4144.

Humber College Language Interpreter Training Certificate

This 180-hour program consists of six 30-hour subjects. This is a certificate program intended to provide bilingual learners who wish to work as spoken language interpreters in the legal, in health-care and social services area, with the skills and knowledge necessary to deliver effective interpreter services. Visit their website for more information or call 416-675-5006.

Mohawk College Language Interpreter Training

This 180-hour program consists of six 30-hour subjects. The training is an introduction to interpreting theory, with skills development practice in consecutive interpreting, sigh translation and note taking, simultaneous interpreting, standards of practice, and more.  Visit their website for more information. Some courses in this program are also offered through Distance Education.

York University Programs in Translation

Glendon College offers a post-degree certificate program in Spanish/English-English/Spanish translation as well as undergraduate and graduate degree programs in translation studies. Visit their website to learn more.