This section includes a list of web resources and links related to financial literacy. If there is a website or resource that you feel we should include on this page, please email your suggestion to: email@example.com.
Financial Literacy Education
- St. Christopher House or call (416) 848-7980: Financial Advocacy & Problem Solving (FAPS)
- Credit Counseling Canada or call 1-866-398-5999: Workshops on Money & Debt Management
- Canadian Centre for Financial Literacy or call 416-665-2828: Training and Capacity Building Services
- Ottawa Community Loan Fund: Newcomer Financial Literacy Toolkit
- Woodgreen Community Services or call 416-645-6000 x 1100: Financial Literacy Workshops for Newcomers
Government Benefits & Tax Credits
- Canada Benefits Finder: This webiste will connect you to federal, provincial and muncipal programs and services
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
- Canada Child Tax Benefit
Government Savings Plans
- Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)
- Canada Learning Bond (CLB)
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)
- Registered Disability Savings Plan
- Tax Free Savings Account
Income Tax Resources
- TaxTips.ca: Information on the Canadian income tax system
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): includes an online, self-paced course on how to do your taxes
- Volunteer tax preparation clinics in Toronto: (For information across Canada – 1-800-959-8281)
Banking & Financial Services
- Canadian Foundation for Economic Education: Resources on saving and investing tools and how to choose them
- Financial Consumer Agency of Canada: Interactive tools such as a Credit Card Selection Tool and Credit Card Payment Calculator
- Investopedia: Complete source of information about investing.
- Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation: Information about housing and mortgage insurance in Canada.
- Bank of Canada: Information on Canada’s national bank with the task of preserving the value of our money
- Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation: Information on how our money in Canadian banks is insured against bank failures
- Credit Union Central: Information on the credit union model and a locator for credit unions in your community.
- Acorn Canada: Produced a series of reports on the Payday lending industry in Canada.
- Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC): Find the section on “Making a budget and sticking to it.”
- The Money Belt
- Canadian Bankers Association: “There’s Something About Money” section offers worksheets for budgeting and tracking expenses
- Investors Education Fund: Get Smarter About Money offers useful calculators and tools with a focus on saving and investing.
- Debt Repayment Planning Calculator
- Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy Dealing with Debt: A Consumer’s Guide
- Credit Counselling Canada or call 1-866-398-5999
- InCharge Debt Solutions or call 1-888-424-3404
- Credit Canada or call 1-800-267-2272
- Financial Consumer Agency of Canada: This website gives examples of both Equifax and Transunion credit reports. It has resources on how to read them and correct errors.
- Equifax: Access to your credit history and score for a fee as well as a free credit education centre.
- Transunion: Credit monitoring products and services for sale and also has a credit learning centre.
- Canadian Consumer Handbook: Information on consumer topics including consumer rights and complaint procedures.
- Canada Office of Consumer Affairs: Practical tools and information to help protect consumers.
- Consumer Reports: Provides independent product reviews and information.
- Ontario Ministry of Consumer Services: Consumer protection authority in Ontario