Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services improve health outcomes for the most vulnerable immigrants, refugees, and their communities. We do this by facilitating access to services and addressing systemic inequities. We envision a future in which Toronto’s diverse communities achieve health with dignity.
Volunteer Position Description:
We are looking for volunteers who are interested in becoming income tax clinic volunteers to prepare income tax for clients. The volunteers are required to complete training by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as well as orientation conducted by Access Alliance staff. The clinics will be open one day a week for each location from March until May. Duties include:
- E-file income tax returns for clients
- Follow-up with clients to ensure satisfaction of services has been met
- Available to attend an Access Alliance Volunteer Orientation –date to be determined.
- Must commit to complete Canada Revenue Agency training –date to be determined
AccessPoint on Danforth (for volunteers of all locations)
- Volunteers must commit at least one day per week. Clinics run on Saturdays and on Wednesdays
- Volunteers must commit for the duration of the tax season (March to May 2019).
- For AccessPoint on Danforth, 3079 Danforth Ave. (at Victoria Park) – Saturdays 9:30-4:30pm
- For AccessPoint on Jane, 761 Jane St. (at Woolner) – Saturdays, 10:00- 4:30pm
- For 10 Gower Park Place (Victoria Park and Dawes Rd) – Wednesdays, 2:00 – 5:00pm
- Proficient with computers
- Good command of written and oral English
- Ability to work with high level of confidentiality and privacy
- Interest in income tax preparation or similar interests
- Organized, reliable and punctual
- Ability to provide high level of customer service
- Act in accordance with program procedures, policies and agreements.
- Represent Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services in a positive and professional manner
- Live in the AccessPoint on Danforth or AccessPoint on Jane neighbourhoods
- High level of numeracy skills, background in accounting, finance or business
- Can speak a second language that is common in the neighbourhoods (e.g. Danforth: Amharic, Bengali, Urdu, Farsi, Arabic; Jane: Somali, Spanish, Karen)
- Some experience working with multi-lingual and multi-racial communities; experience in income tax preparation
Benefits for the Volunteer:
- Direct income tax filing training from Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Gain first hand income tax preparation experience
- Gain leadership and customer service skills
- Gain experience with handling confidential and personal information
- Gain experience volunteering in a community health centre setting
- Gain experience working with a non-profit organization
- Get to know your community members and provide them with services
- Be involved in shaping your community
Contact: Volunteer Coordinator at 416-760-2815 ext.253 / email@example.com
We welcome and encourage immigrants and refugees to volunteer with us!
We encourage applications from volunteers who reflect the broad diversity of communities we work with, including those from racialized and LGBTQ communities.